Friday, July 22, 2011

A double standard?

We got busy yesterday. We might have blogged about the news story which underlies this post, but time conspired against us. We did post the link on Facebook though; a story from the Herald on an Israeli editorial alleging that the New Zealand media is biased against Israel.

When we awoke this morning, we found this comment on the Facebook post:

And a new example of the Goff standard. Happy to sit on the Dazza investigation for two weeks but apparently Key meant to shout an SIS investigation from the roof tops.


We thought about it, and the more we thought, the more we agreed that the commenter was dead right. Sure, there are obvious differences; one case involves national security and the other involves the early-morning antics of a Labour MP. But there are similarities too.

Both cases broke in the media before any official confirmation from the politicians. Key was initially hesitant to discuss the spying allegations, but made a full statement within hours. Goff was initially hesitant to discuss the allegations against Darren Hughes, but over succeeding days took a variety of positions, culminating in Hughes' decision to resign from Parliament. Key's initial response to the Hughes saga was to say that it was none of his business. Goff's initial response to this week's revelation was to lambast Key for not being up-front.

Goff might have had some validity to this claim if his own track record had been better, but of course it isn't. We reckon that Goff saw potential to embarrass Key politically, and leapt into the fray.

Key should probably have been more up-front on this issue, but he had just emerged from a meeting when he was confronted by the media, and obviously sought information from his officials so that his response was not half-cocked. But for Goff to claim this as being some deep and underlying political conspiracy was nonsense.

Both leaders will be under the spotlight as the General Election draws nearer, and both will be choosing their words carefully. However Phil Goff's insistence on transparency when he has shown that he is less than transparent himself may yet come back to bite him on the gluteus maximus.


UPDATE: Just received this Twitter update (with our emphasis added):

it's just a poor attempt by to remain relevant... He has become the Willie Mason of NZ Politics... Mr Rent-A-Quote.


Sheesh; it's almost enough to make one feel sorry for Feckless Phil

26 comments:

Anonymous said...

Best quote on this issue:

"...the Opposition hasn’t been briefed on this, so I’ll stick to my version". Maryan Street on Red Alert.

So she's saying she has no official information, so she'll make up whatever she likes and stick to it!

Yesterday I heard a police car siren go past my house. The police haven't come to me to tell me what they were doing, so I'll decide what I think they were doing and then state this as fact.

robertguyton said...

"Among the further mysteries that emerged yesterday was confirmation from Mr Key's office that Michal Fraidman, Guy Jordan and Liron Sade left Christchurch on one of the earliest flights out after the February 22 earthquake, on a Royal New Zealand Air Force 757."

Southland Times July 22

Inventory2 said...

Oh Robert; I didn't think you were that gullible. The Air Force flew hundreds of overseas tourists out of Christchurch before commercial flights resumed. They'd fly in a load of rescue personnel, then fly out a load of stranded tourists. If anything, the Israeli back-packers are guilty of queue-jumping.

But stick to the issue; there's a good boy. This post is about Phil Goff's double standard. Blog about your conspiracy theory at your own place.

pdm said...

RG - my Aunt and Uncle flew out of Christcurch on one way tickets to Brisbane very soon after the 22 February earthquake.

At almost 80 years of age they definitely are not Israeli spies.

robertguyton said...

"This post is about Phil Goff"

snore

Inventory2 said...

Ah; I see; your choice of subjects is scintillating, and mine isn't to your satisfaction Rob. Just as well you have your own blog then.

pdm said...

RG's blog is a place I don't visit in case I catch something nasty. Hiwever should we all go over there and troll for a week/

I will make the sacrifice if it gets rid of him from here and at HP's.

Inventory2 said...

I couldn't possibly comment on that pdm, lest I be accused of encouraging people to spam a website...

robertguyton said...

Inv2 - as you brought up the issue of spamming on this thread, I'll post your original incitement to Kiwiblog readers to spam. I've added your invitation to re-post the comment and your promise to respond. Good to get this out in the open, eh.

Inv2 said: "@ Roflcopter; better still, spam this hash-tag – #Labourishistory – The VRWC wants to see this one topping the trend list! Labour is trying to fight the election on social media sites because the party is broke, so we’ll stuff them at their own game :-)"

Do you mean SPAM or did you mis-type?
Why I ask is because it seems you are inciting Kiwiblog readers to SPAM a social media site, or does it means something else? I ask because it seems wrong to encourage spamming, as described by Ol' Flappy Feet himself and I know how much you model yourself on him.
Keen to hear what you have to say.

Later, Inv2 said:
"Lastly, @ Robert. Repeat your comment on the post where we have already had this exchange. I'll then respond, but in context rather than in isolation. Repeating stuff all over the blog is a bit like spamming ;)"

Inventory2 said...

@ Robert - to use your own words:

boring and

snore

robertguyton said...

I've a couple of others Inv2, but I'll not use them yet.
You did say you'd respond to my question. Are you a man of your word or not?
It must be a simple thing for you to explain. ere you encouraging people to spam or not?

Inventory2 said...

I'm absolutely a man of my word Robert. Respond where you were asked to, and I'll respond in kind

robertguyton said...

http://robertguyton.blogspot.com/2011/06/keeping-stock.html

jabba said...

I started to comment on Bobs silly little blog. His photo's were AMAZING, what a talent.
Th comments were going on about the graph he had about dairy prices but I just couln't do it. I mean he could do with some help but .. boring zzzzzzz
Maybe KS should mention the Greens leadership team instead of the sad Goff to wake Booby up?

robertguyton said...

I was aware of your timorous visit jabba. Every time you painstakingly tapped out some thin squeak of a comment, it appeared in the panel, awaiting your courageous click on the 'publish comment' button, and oh, how I cheered you on, how I willed you the strength to press it. But you just couldn't summons the courage, could you, you wee mousey you!
Don't give up jabs!!!
Even paler specimens of humanity than you have steeled themselves, hardened up and laid open their souls on my blog.
I'll be gentle with you. No one, not even me, would crush the fragile butterfly that is your internet voice jabs.
Never give up on yourself!
As Inventory2 would no doubt say, Jesus loves you, so there's one supporter for starters!

Suz said...

Are you serious Rob? Can you all-powerful blog-keepers actually see what us mere commenters type in before we decide to publish or not?

robertguyton said...

Nope Suz - you can relax.

*jabbba! Yes! I can!

Inventory2 said...

@ Suz; Rob THINKS he's all-knowing and all-seeing, but most of the time he's just a legend in his own lunch-time.

robertguyton said...

Suz - Inv2 will write this

@ Suz; Rob THINKS he's all-knowing and all-seeing, but most of the time he's just a legend in his own lunch-time.

at 8:06. Mark my words!

Suz said...

Your words are duly marked my friend,
but the time lapse gives even this computer illiterate some cause for concern :)

Inventory2 said...

Don't worry Suz; Greenies do live in a bit of a time warp...

jabba said...

I'm waiting for Booby to announce his intention to follow his hero, Rod Donald, into politics .. come on Booby, do it, you would be a real laugh

Inventory2 said...

I don't think Robert would last long in politics Jabba

robertguyton said...

Suz - Inventory holds my comments back, sometimes for up to an hour, to give every one else a fair chance.

jabs - been there, done that - try to keep up. Rod 'sponsored' me into the Clutha/Southland electorate race and I had Bill English on the ropes for most of the campaign. In the end I realised neither he, nor the party could take a loss of that magnitude, so I graciously threw the fight.
Bill knew though and he's still thankful - little gifts on my birthday, the summer solstice, that sort of thing.

robertguyton said...

old sammy says:
July 22, 2011 at 3:46 pm

Breaking news … National MP Katrina Shanks has just been stabbed in the back by her party president.

She declared this morning that she would try and win the Ohariu electorate for National. Why not? She’s an MP and a loyal Nat.

Whereupon her president promptly announced that National were backing Peter Dunne instead.

So, John Key’s priorities are 1) ACT 2) Dunne, and 3) National MPs … not so much.

Got to feel sorry for Katrina. She has every reason to feel aggrieved by the way Key and the Pres have treated her. I can understand standing aside for ACT, but having to stand aside for Dunne… Talk about swallowing a dead rat.!

jabba said...

Oh Bobby .. You threw in the towel for Bill English.. What a guy.
And didn't Clark do a deal with your lot in the Coromandel once?? It must be a lie aye Bob as you lot aren’t hypocrites .. or are you?